Home › Forums › Reading Group › February 2021: Eliza Haywood, Love in Excess (1719-20)
– What space do you think this novels gives for women’s power and control over their own lives?
– What did you make of the ways that the names were patterned, and of the complex set of characters?
– How is the body written about?
– What does this text have to say about deceit?
– What did you think of the characterisation of D’Elmont?
– What does Haywood tell us about women’s desire?
– What roles do letters play in the text? And books?
– Later writers such as Clara Reeve, who we read last month, dismissed Haywood’s earlier fictions as improper. Why do you think this was?
Mail (will not be published) (required):
Enter the destination URL
Or link to existing content