Saturday 11th July 2020
A free online day of celebration hosted by Chawton House celebrating the Jane Austen Society’s 80th birthday, its legacy, and of course, the great author herself.
Before we begin at 2pm, we invite you to revisit two of the most popular Austen-related talks given at the Chawton House Lockdown Festival:
- Professor Jennie Batchelor, ‘Jane Austen and Embroidery’ (25 mins)
- Professor Janine Barchas (President of the North American Friends of Chawton House), ‘Jane Lost in Translation, a lockdown talk about reading Austen on location’ *revised (25 mins)
Introduction: Richard Jenkyns (Jane Austen Society)
Reports from Chawton: Katie Childs (Executive Director, Chawton House), Lizzie Dunford (Director, Jane Austen’s House)
A virtual tour of Chawton House
Professor Emma Clery, ‘The Jane Austen Society, founded 1940: From Grate to Greatness’
Dr Helen Cole, ‘Jane Austen in the attic: rediscovering the illustrated novels’
‘Our Chawton home’: A Conversation
- Janine Barchas (North American Friends of Chawton House)
- Jennie Batchelor (Patron of the Jane Austen Society, Kent Branch)
- Susannah Fullerton (President of the Jane Austen Society of Australia)
‘Loving Jane Austen Around the World’
Don’t miss the climax of our event inspired by Jane’s principle, ‘One cannot have too large a party.’ Heartfelt thanks to our special guests, in global fellowship.
The videos will be available to view on our YouTube channel.
Keep an eye on this page and our social media channels as more details are released.
Sign up to the mailing list on Art Tickets to receive details first from Monday 29 June.